Monday, March 05, 2007

What Lunar Eclipse?!...

It was suppose to be the most awaited event early this year since the last one 2 1/2 years ago. The time when the Sun, Earth and the Moon are all align in a straight line that causes the Moon to be eclipsed.

The event here was to happen at dawn on Sunday, 4 March and from where I am I should be able to catch a good glimpse of it happening. I rubbed my hands with glee at that opportunity as I prepared my scope early that Sunday morning around 4+ a.m. I forced myself to get up and prepared myself around that time so that I could be adequately catered for any emergencies (wrong placement of scope and mount, low battery).

When I got everything in place - mount polar align as much as possible, scope adequately focused, and eyepiece all in place with the finderscope calibrated - I saw the Moon grinning brightly along the western sky with a look through the binocs and scope's eyepiece. What a sight! Then I realised I need to shift my scope further down to the carpark area facing East Coast Road as the Moon was slowly setting and its sight was going to be blocked by the bchurch building! :-P

Having quickly shifted all those equipment to the designated area nearer East Coast Road, and realigned the C6 towards the lunar object in the sky, I prepared myself for the sight that was to be touted as a feast for any lunatic. ;-) Then horror of horrors!!....

The clouds started to waltz in and bit by bit shrouded the Moon totally from sight. There was nothing to be seen!! I felt as if the carpet had been pulled from under my feet! :-P The clouds came in and stayed there for the rest of the time that I had to disassemble all the equipment and head back with head bowed in total disapppoinment. *sigh*

I had no time to cry over such astronomical disaster as I had to quickly prepare myself for Mass that morning at 7.15 a.m. But it was a great travesty and a bad joke that only nature can give a person. All it did was to send in the clouds!...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Alternative Telescopes

Alternative Telescopes
Online Observations

Together on A Cosmic Journey

  © Blogger template 'Grease' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP