Friday, February 13, 2009

Return of the Ring...

It was still a little cold outside when I brought out the Bresser for a night out to catch the heavens last night around 9.00 pm. This was a while after the last round several weeks ago, before the exams started.

The object of attention last night, was to get the planet Saturn in sight. The wintery skies that we have now offered the usual scene of Orion, Cassopiea, the Big Dipper and the North star, could all be seen with the naked eye. Nonetheless, the Bresser continues to pose a reverential moment everytime one looks through the eyepiece of the scope and pierce through the heavens to reveal a closer view of what is out there, especially the eerie and magnificent Orion Nebula that continued to haunt the night sky during this season.

But the return of Saturn and the opportunity to get in in the sights of the scope and admire the magnificent rings is too great to ignore, when the night sky was clear and seeing was good like last night. Since I already had more than enough time on my hands and I was itching to see Saturn, setting up the scope then wasn't much of a debate.

I wasn't disappointed. Using different magnification, I saw the great ringed planet in different settings and placement upon a dark canvas of the sky. There were a few other people that happened to pass by the verandah where I was and when invited to look through the scope, their shouts of amazement was enough in justifying bringing out the scope in that cold night.

I had spent about one and a half hours of star gazing last night and I managed to stay that long too because I wanted to watch the Moon rise and caught a few moments of its cratered surface before I packed up and head back into the warmth of my room and a cup of hot tea!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Alternative Telescopes

Alternative Telescopes
Online Observations

Together on A Cosmic Journey

  © Blogger template 'Grease' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP